Skip to main content

Thailand Food.....we love it!

Thailand’s food is one of the highlights of any visit here, and after many years of travelling to the Country, the staff at Escape Worldwide have their own view of it!

Karen used to be the biggest wimp in the office when it came to spicy food, but over the years she’s developed a real taste for Thai food. “I tend to stick to dishes that I know I like, so I don’t get any unexpected surprises. Everything is so fresh, and the seafood in particular tends to be superb – and so well priced, compared to the UK. In fact, I tend to go a bit overboard in Thailand as the food is really good value – crab cakes or spring rolls as a starter for £ 1, a main dish of a Thai curry for maybe £ 1.50, all washed down with copious quantities of Singha or Chang beer – and you still won’t have hit a fiver!”

Natalie remembers one meal in particular. “I think the hottest meal I’ve ever had was in Bangkok, when I thought I’d try a Thai Green Curry. The restaurant our hotel, the Dusit Thani, suggested was a traditional place a few minutes walk away (there are so many restaurants in this area of Bangkok it’s hard to know where to start!) so I guess the food is fairly authentic – perhaps I should have asked for a less hot version! It got to the point where I couldn’t feel my mouth, but even then the flavours of the food were still there. Even a large bottle of Singha Beer didn’t help much!”

Darren had developed a straightforward theory to Thai food. “If it comes with coconut milk, it’s likely that it’s going to be spicy, as the coconut milk is often used for cooling things down. Therefore, ask for a less spicy version. If it has red bits floating in the coconut milk, you haven’t really got a hope! My standard dish if I’m not sure of what to go for is Phad Thai, or fried noodles – always tasty, always available and always cheap, you really can’t go too far wrong!”

Mark’s been visiting Thailand since 1991, so has tried many local dishes from the regions over the years. “The oddest thing I think I’ve tried was in the Isaan region of Northeastern Thailand, which has its own different style of food. In Nakhon Ratchasima, one of the larger towns in the area, I tried a type of local sausage, which I can only describe as ‘different’ – I still have no idea what was in it! I did a Thai cookery course in Chiang Mai on one visit, so I learnt about the local spices and vegetables – this is something I’d really recommend, and some schools will also tell you what replacement ingredients you can use if you can’t obtain the authentic stuff when you get back home.”


 
For holidays to Thailandvisit www.thaiescapes.co.uk


Escape Worldwide - Home of Long Haul Holidays
http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Elephant Hills, Khao Sok National Park in Thailand

We have some great holiday ideas to this amazing part of Thailand -  http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk/thailand/elephant_hills_khao_sok_national_park.html Escape Worldwide - Home of Long Haul Holidays http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk

Cruise and stay with Escape Worldwide ⛴🛳

Cruises are amongst the most popular types of holidays at the moment, effortlessly taking you to different destinations throughout your trip - without the need to keep packing & unpacking! Settle in to your ship and wait for the world come to you, ideally with a good book and a gin & tonic.     At Escape Worldwide we tend to focus on Cruise & Stay Holidays, with the cruise as part of your trip but with a whole load more included too. Invariably you’ve flown to your departure port, so rather than heading straight from the airport to the port we’ll include a few days to explore the destination - places such as Singapore , New Orleans, Cape Town, and Dubai deserve more time than just passing through. After you’ve disembarked we can take you on to another location to round off your trip - a beach resort, perhaps, or another city. Fly onwards from Singapore to Bali or Phuket , take a train from New Orleans to Memphis, pick up a rental car as you return to Cape Town and hea

Our Top Trips in 2018 - Mark in Australia

We're continuing our look back at our teams travels this week - Mark visited Australia on an epic three-state trip, starting in Sydney, moving to Victoria and driving most of the Queensland Coast in a campervan - here's a quick look at the highlights of his Aussie adventure. . . . Starting in Sydney ​ The first time I visited Australia was 27 years ago as an 18-year old backpacker, but I'm always excited to go back - it's one of the most diverse, incredible countries on the planet. As with many visits Down Under I started in Sydney , which is a very easy city to get to grips with - for me, if you stay anywhere between Central Station and Circular Quay you can't go too far wrong, and it's such as easy place to explore. I stayed right in the middle of Sydney at the Grace Hotel , which has pretty much everything you want to see within a 20 minute walk - I took in the Sydney Tower Eye, Darling Harbour and the amazing Sydney Opera House, all on foot.