Skip to main content

Top 10 over the past 10 years....No 4 Shopping in Bangkok


We're celebrating our 10th birthday at Escape Worldwide, and looking back at 10 years of globetrotting in the name of bringing you great holidays - at least that's our excuse! We're having a look at our personal top 10 favourite travel experiences of the last 10 years.


Natalie picks up a bargain - or three! 

"This was my first visit to Bangkok, and as an experienced shopper and bargain-hunter back home I was pleased to see that there were tons of shops and lots of shopping to be done - I am a self confessed handbag addict and was pleased to see that there was plenty on offer!

Before shopping comes sightseeing, and I started at the Grand Palace, a real 'must see' for anyone visiting Bangkok. The palace is a series of palace buildings and temples, and is very much in use - it dates back over 300 years and although the current King doesn't live here, the palace is still used for official events, and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha is one of the most important religious sites in Thailand. Getting around here is easy on foot or by tuk tuk, which you can rent by the hour for next to nothing.

Tuk tuks in Bangkok
Getting around by Tuk Tuk
On my way to the Grand Palace, I noticed some fantastic denim handbags as I got off of the river taxi at Tha Chang. Unable to resist I enquired about the price of the bags. They seemed reasonable, however, there was lots to see on this trip and I had my eye set on my visit to the huge MBK shopping centre for some retail therapy - one of my colleagues in the office had recommended this place for the best bargains. There is a bargain to be had everywhere in Bangkok, depending on what it is that you want and how much luggage allowance you have left!

The following day we had the morning off and I decided that I would go in search of some denim bags (and whatever others I could find!) in MBK. This shopping centre is one of the largest I have visited with floors and floors of merchandise from upmarket designer outlets to market-style stalls in the one building. I have to admit, I got a little lost and there were no denim handbags to be found! Now with a mission to accomplish, I decided that I would return to the same spot to get the bags that I had originally seen. MBK is at one end of the skytrain line and the port for the river taxi is at the other. So that was simple enough to remember. From there it’s a short walk to the boats and tickets are purchased on board. Remembering my route from the day before (Tha Chang=Chang Beer) and the orange express route, I was well away. 

Shopping in Patpong Market, Bangkok
Famous Papong Market
On arrival the stallholder immediately recognised me and wanted to enter into a discussion about the bags. She originally quoted me 1400B (£28) for two handbags and a purse. Unimpressed, I thought I’d use my newly acquired bartering skills and see what I could achieve. The final price was 750B (£15) which was fantastic

Pleased as punch, I went on my journey back to the hotel. Unable to resist, I thought I’d try a smaller shopping mall close to the hotel I was staying at, the Dusit Thani. Looking around I didn’t really see anything that I wanted to buy. One particular shop caught my eye – denim handbags! On closer inspection, one of the handbags that I had just bought was on sale for 850B (£17). What a result!"



Next time...No 3 Brazil.....


Darren
Escape Worldwide - Home of Long Haul Holidays 
http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robot Restaurant in Tokyo - simply amazing!

Japan is a fun and crazy place and nowhere is crazier than the Robot Restaurant in Tokyo. Mark visited this amazing place when he was in Tokyo on a trip around Japan. We have some amazing holiday ideas to Japan -  http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk/far_east/japan_holidays.html Escape Worldwide - Home of Long Haul Holidays http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk

San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley & Vegas Fly-Drive

We love the USA and one of our favourite areas is between San Francisco and Las Vegas , via breathe taking Yosemite National Park and unworldly Death Valley. Mark recently did this trip with a hire car and had an amazing time. Mark suggests starting in vibrant San Francisco before collecting a car and driving to stunning Yosemite national Park. Continue to Death Valley and finish your USA fly-drive in Las Vegas. The best time to travel is from April to September, when the weather is best and Tioga Pass should be open. Day 1 - UK to San Francisco Fly from London to San Francisco , arriving later the same day. On arrival into this amazing city, make your way to your chosen hotel, for I would suggest a three night stay, this should give you plenty of time to enjoy this cosmopolitan city. Days 2-3 - San Francisco Spend the next few days exploring San Francisco. Perhaps prebook our San Francisco Helicopter tour, the ultimate San Francisco sightseeing trip - witness stunning vie...

Trip to Mauritius - Part 3........

We arrive for the night at the lovely Veranda Paul and Virginie Hotel   which is a lovely boutique hotel on Mauritius North Coast by Grand Gaube. The property had a lovely, romantic feel with friendly staff and spacious rooms. We arrive just in time for a delicious buffet dinner, before a few drinks (or should I saw amazing home grown flavoured rums) at the bar. The following morning awoke to a beautiful blue sky and views of Coin De Mire. After a quick dip in one of the hotels pools headed to breakfast. One of the pools at Veranda Paul and Virginie After breakfast we checked out and headed East. The coast line and beaches on the East are stunning with crystal blue seas and white sandy beaches. Beaches on Mauritius East Coast We stopped of lunch and a spot of free time at the Veranda Palmar Beach Hotel , which is a lovely little resort set on a stunning beach. The hotel offers All Inclusive so you don't need to worry about a thing other than kicking...