Skip to main content

Karen has just got back from Thailand........


Exploring Bangkok on the canal boatsKaren just got back from a superb trip to Thailand, taking in city, countryside and beach in a three-centre trip - Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Hua Hin. Today, back in the office, she's full of tales about riding elephants, learning Thai cookery, visiting floating markets and singing karaoke (there was quite a lot of Singha beer involved!) so we thought we'd bring you some of her highlights from her trip, plus details of how you can do the exact same trip too (the karaoke is optional!)








Bangkok

"My trip started in Bangkok, which is a place I've been to a few times before, but there's always so much to see and do - it would be hard for me to visit Thailand and not have at least a few days in Bangkok! I spent a full day exploring the city, travelling by skytrain, tuk tuk and boat to take in places that I hadn't been to before - the flower markets in Chinatown, the beautiful teak house of the famous silk entrepreneur Jim Thompson, and the fabulous new Platinum Mall - the best place for buying clothes I've ever found!

The Floating Market at Damnoen SaduakOn one day I headed out of Bangkok for half a day, to the floating market at Damnoen Saduak, on the edge of the city. The market is as much a tourist attraction as it is a market, but it's great fun and very colourful, and I'm amazed how these little wooden boats are used to prepare, cook and serve incredible Thai food while floating around the town - how they do it is beyond me!

I also visited a few hotels when I was in Bangkok - I stayed at a new hotel, the Centara Watergate Pavillion, which I'd really recommend for good standards at a great price (you can upgrade to a Deluxe room for just £3 per person per night at most times of year - bargain!) plus I returned to an old favourite of mine, the Shangri-La Bangkok, set right on the river and with some of the best standards in the city - the hotel is also handily located (take the free boat service!) for the Asiatique shopping area, which has a great mix of upmarket shops and bargain stalls, with great food available and cold beers, all along the riverfront. On my last evening I visited a rather different night market, the famous Patpong market, where the souvenir stalls are set our amongst the bars and clubs of this infamous strip - it's definitely a great place for people-watching!"

Chiang Mai 

“It's a few years since I've been to Chiang Mai, but it's such a great place I'd always recommend visiting here for a few days to take in the temples, markets and countryside. After staying in Bangkok, Chiang Mai seemed so much calmer and more manageable, so it was a bit of welcome relief! I stayed at the beautiful Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, which is really central but surprisingly tranquil, as its set in big grounds by the river. On my first night in Chiang Mai I headed to the night bazaar, which is very close to the hotel, and picked up a few bargains (it's great for cheap clothes and souvenirs) before heading to the Good View Bar, one of the best places in Chiang Mai for Thai food, cold beer and a great atmosphere!


Elephants in the river at Chiang Dao, near Chiang MaiNext day was probably the highlight of the whole trip for me, as I got to ride an elephant! I did the full day Elephant Jungle Trek, Rafting & Hilltribe tour. We headed out to Chiang Dao, outside of the city, passing through some beautiful countryside, and when we arrived we were introduced to the baby elephants, and helped feed them (whole bunches of bananas seemed popular!) We then got on to our rides for the morning, and spent about an hour and a half on our elephants, passing through beautiful countryside and wading through the river too. After lunch we boarded traditional bamboo rafts and gently floated downstream for about an hour, which was so relaxing, passing local villages.
My last stop in Chiang Mai was the impressive Wat Suthep, a beautiful temple perched on top of a mountain, outside of town - climbing all the way to the top via the 309 steps is a bit of a killer, but it's well worth the effort as the temple is beautiful and the views across Chiang Mai are superb!"

Hua Hin 

"The beach resort of Hua Hin is a great option for a relaxed end to a trip if you've already taken in other areas of Thailand - this was my first visit here, and I fell in love with it almost immediately! For me Hua Hin has the perfect mix - a relaxed atmosphere but with plenty to do, great restaurants and bars but not tacky. I stayed at two hotels here - the Hilton Hua Hin, which is right in the town centre so is perfect if you want to try some of those fabulous places to eat (if you come out of the hotel and turn right you'll find some of the best seafood in the area!) and the Dusit Thani Hua Hin, a little further out and with a more relaxed feel, but still not remote.


The beach at they Hyatt Regency Hua HinFinishing with a few days on the beach in Hua Hin was a perfect way to end my trip - it has a very Thai feel, but also has some excellent quality hotels including various options from international hoteliers such as Hyatt and Sheraton, so there's something for everyone. At the Anantara Resort Hua Hin (probably my favourite of all the hotels I visited as it has a distinctly Thai feel) I did a Thai cookery course - I'm still no expert, but it was great fun and I got to eat my own efforts for dinner! The hotel's full day course costs around £90 and includes a trip to the market to buy your ingredients, learn how to cook four dishes (plus eating them too!) and you get to take home your recipes, apron and chopping board!"

This was a great trip to Thailand, seeing lots of different places and visiting some of our most popular hotels. If you're planning a trip call us and we'll share our experience with you!




Escape Worldwide - Home of Long Haul Holidays 
http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Elephant Hills, Khao Sok National Park in Thailand

We have some great holiday ideas to this amazing part of Thailand -  http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk/thailand/elephant_hills_khao_sok_national_park.html Escape Worldwide - Home of Long Haul Holidays http://www.escapeworldwide.co.uk

Cruise and stay with Escape Worldwide ⛴🛳

Cruises are amongst the most popular types of holidays at the moment, effortlessly taking you to different destinations throughout your trip - without the need to keep packing & unpacking! Settle in to your ship and wait for the world come to you, ideally with a good book and a gin & tonic.     At Escape Worldwide we tend to focus on Cruise & Stay Holidays, with the cruise as part of your trip but with a whole load more included too. Invariably you’ve flown to your departure port, so rather than heading straight from the airport to the port we’ll include a few days to explore the destination - places such as Singapore , New Orleans, Cape Town, and Dubai deserve more time than just passing through. After you’ve disembarked we can take you on to another location to round off your trip - a beach resort, perhaps, or another city. Fly onwards from Singapore to Bali or Phuket , take a train from New Orleans to Memphis, pick up a rental car as you return to Cape Town and hea

Our Top Trips in 2018 - Mark in Australia

We're continuing our look back at our teams travels this week - Mark visited Australia on an epic three-state trip, starting in Sydney, moving to Victoria and driving most of the Queensland Coast in a campervan - here's a quick look at the highlights of his Aussie adventure. . . . Starting in Sydney ​ The first time I visited Australia was 27 years ago as an 18-year old backpacker, but I'm always excited to go back - it's one of the most diverse, incredible countries on the planet. As with many visits Down Under I started in Sydney , which is a very easy city to get to grips with - for me, if you stay anywhere between Central Station and Circular Quay you can't go too far wrong, and it's such as easy place to explore. I stayed right in the middle of Sydney at the Grace Hotel , which has pretty much everything you want to see within a 20 minute walk - I took in the Sydney Tower Eye, Darling Harbour and the amazing Sydney Opera House, all on foot.